Getting Started

There are at least five education assistance programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs that you can apply for at Pacific College of Health and Science. Go to for complete details on how to apply for financial aid for veterans.

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve

If you are attending Pacific College of Health and Science (PCHS) and have never received Veterans Education Benefits, you will need to complete online the application from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans education programs benefit applications are designed to obtain the necessary information to determine eligibility for benefits. Once you receive your Notice of Eligibility document or letter, simply bring it to the VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid office. You will also be asked to sign a “Verification of Receipt” of a catalog addendum that will be handed to you.

After the Department of Veterans Affairs has processed your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. The certificate will indicate the type of benefit you will receive, the number of months of benefits remaining, and the date they expire.

Once the Certifying Official receives your eligibility for veterans education grants, s/he will certify your enrollment based on the number of credits you are registered for and will submit it to the Department of Veterans Assistance (DVA), using VaOnce, a web-based certification program. Processing at DVA takes anywhere from two to four weeks before payment authorization is made. You will be paid retroactive to the beginning of the term.

Change in Student Status

All students receiving their veteran’s educational assistance program benefits are required by law to keep the PCOM Veterans Certifying Official informed of the following:

  • Enrollment Status
  • Any credit changes or withdrawals
  • Change in degree or program
  • Address changes
  • Change in dependents

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students receiving their Veterans Educational Benefits are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to the policy established by PCOM. Title 38, United States Code, Sections 1674 and 1724 requires that education assistance benefits to veterans be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress. Benefits will be terminated for students who do not continue to make satisfactory progress.

Tutorial Assistance

Students receiving educational assistance under Chapters 30, 32, 35 and 106 are also eligible for assistance to cover the cost of a tutor when the student has a deficiency in a subject required for graduation. You must submit a letter from your professor indicating tutoring is necessary. The maximum benefit is $1200. A charge to entitlement will be made for assistance received in excess of $600 by Chapter 30, Chapter 32, and Chapter 106.

Break Pay

A student can receive break pay (interval pay) for those periods between semesters as long as the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits or more. Continuous payment will be made whenever possible, however DVA will not authorize break pay in the following instances:

  • If the student is attending less than 1/2 time or is on active duty
  • If the break is more than a full calendar month
  • If the student transfers to another institution and the break is more than 30 days between consecutive terms
  • A break, regardless of length, when the student also changes institutions.

Please contact the Veterans Certifying Official at your campus if you have further questions regarding certification, or a VA Representative for benefit information at 1-800-827-1000. The website is also a great resource, and again is

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at