State Authorization of Distance Education

States have varying rules, requirements and regulations that govern online (distance) education offered by out-of-state institutions. These rules require higher education institutions that offer distance education to obtain exemption, approval, authorization, or other certification from the relevant state agencies. Many of these regulations also apply to field experiences (e.g., internships, practicums, clinicals, etc.) in the state. Pacific College monitors state authorization requirements in each state and continues to make good faith efforts to secure the appropriate authorization and/or licensure to offer online programs in each state in which it enrolls students. Please check this webpage for continual updates as state laws/rules/regulations are frequently subject to change.


Should a student relocate during the course of a program to another state, it may negatively impact the student’s ability to remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements, and/or continue to receive financial aid funding. Prior to considering any state relocation, it is very important that you contact your program officials to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.

International Students: Pacific College of Health and Science enrolls nonimmigrant alien students in online programs not leading to professional licensure or certification on a case-by-case basis. Please note that international students, including U.S. citizens living abroad, cannot enroll in any nursing programs which are intended to prepare students for licensure and employment in the United States or have clinical practice requirements. Prior to enrolling, it is very important that you contact program officials to discuss eligibility and program requirements.

Updated January 2024

Cannot Enroll in Program if State is Listed: If a student’s permanent residence is in a state listed below, the student cannot enroll in that program – e.g., cannot take the Health Coach Certificate if the student’s permanent residence is in Alabama. Please note that the following programs are not offered in the following states:

Master of Science Nursing (MSN)

Annual enrollment only for Fall semesters

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Tennessee
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Bachelor of Science Nursing (RN-BSN)

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Tennessee
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Holistic Nursing Certificate

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Wisconsin

Bachelor of Science Public Health Education and Promotion (BS PHEP)

Not accepting new enrollments from all states as of Fall 2022

Medical Cannabis Certificate

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Wisconsin

FACE Certificate

Annual enrollment only for Winter semesters

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island

Transitional Doctorate Acupuncture/Chinese Medicine (T-DAc/T-DAcCHM)

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maryland
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island

Master of Science Health and Human Promotion (MS HHP)

    • Not accepting new enrollments from all states as of Spring 2023

Health Coach Certificate (HCC)

    • Not accepting new enrollments from all states as of Spring 2023

Master of Science Medical Cannabis Therapeutics (MS MCT)

Not accepting new enrollments from all states as of Winter 2024.

State Higher Education Agencies and Disclaimers:

Alabama Commission on Higher Education

100 North Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 242-1998

Alabama Community College System

P.O. Box 302130
Montgomery, AL 36130
(334) 293-4500

Street Address:
135 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36104-4340

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505
(907) 465-6741

Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education

1740 W. Adams Street, Suite 3008
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 542-5709

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board

423 Main Street, Suite 400
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
(501) 371-2000

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain criteria have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional and program certification as defined in Arkansas Coe §6-61-301. The student should be aware that these degree programs may not transfer. The transfer of course/degree credit is determined by the receiving institution.

California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 98018
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818
(916) 431-6959

Physical Address
2535 Capital Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833

Colorado Commission on Higher Education

1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 862-3001

Connecticut Office of Higher Education

Emily Bjornberg, Senior Consultant Academic Affairs
450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 707
Hartford, Connecticut 06103
(860) 947-1824 (office)
[email protected]

Delaware Department of Education

401 Federal Street, Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901
(302) 735-4000

District of Columbia Higher Education Licensure Commission

1050 First Street, NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 727-6436

Florida Department of Education

Commission for Independent Education
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399
(850) 245-3212

Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 E. Exchange Place, Suite 220
Tucker, GA 30084-4113
(770) 414-3300

Hawaii Postsecondary Education Authorization Program

P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809
(808) 586-7327

Idaho State Board of Education

650 W. State Street, 3rd Floor
Boise, ID 83720-0037
(208) 334-2270

Illinois Board of Higher Education

1 North Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
(217) 782-2551

Indiana Commission on Higher Education

101 West Ohio Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-4206
(317) 464-4400

Iowa College Student Aid Commission

475 S.W. Fifth Street, Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50309
(877) 272-4456 option 4

Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612
(757) 430-4240

Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 573-1555

Louisiana Board of Regents

1201 N. 3rd Street, Suite #6
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225) 342-4253

Maine Department of Education

23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
(207) 624-6600

Maryland Higher Education Commission

6 N. Liberty Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 767-3301

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education

1 Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 994-6950

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

611 W. Ottawa
P.O. Box 30004
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 335-9700

Minnesota Office of Higher Education

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227
(651) 642-0567

Pacific College of Health and Science is registered with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
(601) 432-6372

Missouri Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street
Jefferson City, MO 65201
(573) 751-3940

Montana Board of Regents

2500 Broadway Street
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
(406) 444-6570

Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
(402) 471-2847

Physical Address
140 N. 8th Street, Suite 300
Lincoln, NE 68508

Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

8778 S. Maryland Pkwy, Suite 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123
(702) 486-7330

New Hampshire Department of Education

101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-0257

New Jersey Commission on Higher Education

20 West State Street
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
(609) 292-7225

New Mexico Higher Education Department

2044 Galisteo Street, #4
Santa Fe, NM 87505

New York State Education Department: Office of College and University Evaluation

89 Washing Avenue, Room 960
Education Building Annex
Albany, New York 12234
(518) 474-1551

Board of Governors for the University of North Carolina

910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
(919) 962-4558

North Dakota University System

2000 44th Street S.W., Suite 301
Fargo, ND 58103

Ohio Board of Regents

25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 466-6000

Oklahoma Regents of Higher Education

655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
(405) 225-9100

Oregon Office of Degree Authorization

3225 25th Street SE
Salem, OR 97302
(503) 378-5690
[email protected]

Students should attempt to resolve any grievances they may have with their institution first. Should attempts to resolve these problems with appropriate school officials fail, or should the student be dissatisfied with the final outcome of the college complaint process, then the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC), can respond to a formal complaint. Students may contact the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, 3225 25th St. SE, Salem, OR 97302 or by sending an email to [email protected]. Students may also access the HECC complaints web page.

Pennsylvania Department of Education

333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126
(717) 783-6788

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

560 Jefferson Boulevard, Suite 100
Warwick, RI 02886
(401) 736-1100

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education

1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 737-3476

South Dakota Secretary of State

500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
(605) 773-3537

Tennessee Higher Education Commission

404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 741-5293

Any authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility. Any grievances not resolved on the institutional level may be forwarded to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711
(512) 427-6223

Physical Address:
1200 East Anderson Lane
Austin, TX 78752

Texas Workforce Commission Career Schools and Colleges

101 E. 15th Street
Austin, TX 78778-0001
(512) 463-2222

Utah Division of Consumer Protection

160 East 300 South, Second Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
(801) 530-6601

Vermont Agency of Education

219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 479-1030

Virginia State Council of Higher Education

James Moore Building
101 N. 14th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 225-2600

Washington Student Achievement Council

917 Lakeridge Way S.W.
Olympia, WA 98504-3430
(306) 753-7800

For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit or contact the Student Loan Advocate at [email protected]. The student loan advocate supports current and future student loan borrowers. Coordinating with other state agencies, the loan advocate: addresses student borrower complaints; provides information and resources about student loan repayment; and educates the public about the rights and responsibilities of student loan borrowers. Contact financial aid to talk to the student loan advocate.

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

1018 Kanawha Blvd E., Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301-2800
(304) 558-2101

Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

P.O. Box 8366
Madison, WI 53708-8366
(608) 266-1996

Physical Address:
431 Charmany Drive, #102
Madison, WI 53719

Wyoming Department of Education

2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050
(307) 777-7690

Request Information

Enter your information and start moving toward a career you love!

By clicking the "Send Request" button below, I consent to representatives of Pacific College and Health Science contacting me about furthering my education via email, text, and phone number, including my mobile phone number if provided above, using an automatic dialer or prerecorded message. I understand that my consent is not a requirement for enrollment, and I may withdraw my consent at any time.

* Required.