Licensure Disclosure

Pacific College of Health and Science offers several programs leading to professional licensure within the states of California, Illinois, and New York. The following programs may lead to a professional license or certification that is required for employment:

Program California Illinois New York
Associate of Science in Massage Therapy/Asian Bodywork (AS) Yes n/a n/a
Associate of Applied Science in Holistic Health Science (AAS) Yes n/a n/a
Associate of Occupational Studies in Massage Therapies (AOS) n/a n/a Yes
Massage Therapist (Asian Bodywork) Certificate Yes Yes n/a
Associate of Applied Science (AS Yoga Teacher) Yes n/a n/a
Master of Science in Acupuncture (MSAc) n/a n/a Yes
Master of Science in Acupuncture with a Chinese Herbal Medicine Specialization (MSAcCHM) Yes Yes Yes
Advanced Certificate in Chinese Herbology n/a Yes Yes
Doctor of Acupuncture (DAc) n/a Yes n/a
Doctor of Acupuncture with a Chinese Herbal Medicine Specialization (DAcCHM) Yes Yes n/a

Please note the state approvals are from the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE), the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) and the New York State Education Department (NYSED).

Acupuncture Licensure: Qualified graduates of the MSTOM programs at all three campuses may apply to take the California Acupuncture Licensing Examination (CALE). Only graduates from schools approved by the California Acupuncture Board are allowed to sit for this exam. As of January 2017, only graduates of colleges that have applied for ACAOM accreditation will be eligible to sit for the CALE.

During the internship year of their program, eligible Pacific College DACM, DAc, MSTOM and MSAc students may apply to take the following exams of the National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM): Acupuncture, Foundations of Oriental Medicine, Point Location and Biomedicine. Additionally, DACM, MSTOM and Advanced Certificate in Chinese Herbology students are eligible to take the Chinese Herbology section of the NCCAOM exam and are eligible for Oriental Medicine and Chinese Herbology certification upon graduation. The NCCAOM acupuncture exam is used by many states outside California, including New York and Illinois, as a part of their licensing requirements. Specific information about all states’ licensure requirements can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Registrar. To the best of our knowledge, the DACM and MSTOM curricula at Pacific meet or exceed the classroom requirements of all states where acupuncturists are licensed. For current approval information, or for exact licensing and testing requirements in any state, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Massage Certification: Qualified graduates of Pacific’s Massage Therapy/Asian Bodywork certificate and associates’ degrees are eligible to take the massage exam administered by the Federation of State Massage Board (Mblex Exam).

Qualified graduates of Pacific’s associates’ degrees with at least 750 hours of study and 250 hours of post-graduation experience are eligible to take the board certification exam administered by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB).

Qualified graduates of the New York campus associate’s degree program are eligible to take the New York State Massage Licensure Exam. They are eligible to take the NCBTMB and Mblex exams, used by some other states in lieu of their own licensing exams.

Qualified graduates of Pacific’s associates’ massage degrees, depending on course selection, are eligible to be certified by the American Organization for Bodywork Therapies of Asia (AOBTA). Massage certification in the state of California is awarded by the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC). A Certified Massage Therapist (CMT) is required to have the equivalent of 500 or more hours (or the credit unit equivalent) of formal education and training in massage therapy. Applicants for CAMTC certification shall have attended 500 supervised hours total with 100 of those hours satisfying CAMTC specified subjects.

Yoga Certification: The AS Yoga Teacher meets the requirements for the professional membership and trade association, Yoga Alliance, which registers graduates as yoga teachers (RYT500).

Licensing Examinations: Students must obtain and submit their own applications to sit for any state or national exam and request in writing that Pacific College send academic documentation to the relevant agencies.

To obtain the California acupuncture licensing exam application write to:

California Acupuncture Board
1747 N. Market Blvd, Suite 180 Sacramento, CA 95834
Phone: 916-515-5200

To obtain New York state acupuncture and massage licensure applications contact:
NY State Education Department, Office of the Professions, Division of Professional Licensing Services
89 Washington Avenue Albany, New York 12234-1000
Acupuncture Unit
Phone: 518-474-3817, ext. 260
Fax: 518-402-2323
E-mail: [email protected]

Massage Therapy Unit
Phone 518-474-3817, ext. 270
Fax: 518-402-5354
E-mail: [email protected]

To obtain Illinois acupuncture and massage license information contact:
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Division of Professional Regulation
320 West Washington Street,
3rd Floor Springfield, IL 62786

For a NCBTMB application, contact: National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
1901 S. Meyers Road Suite 240 Oakbrook Terrace,
IL 60181-5243
Phone: 800-296-0664

For an MBLEx examination application, contact:
The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam Office
150 4th Avenue North, Suite 800
Nashville, TN, 37219
Phone: 866-962-3926

All required supporting documentation from Pacific College will be sent to the appropriate agency upon written request of the test applicant and payment of documentation fee, provided all other obligations to the college have been met. However, it is the test applicant’s responsibility to ascertain that all documentation has been sent prior to the appropriate deadline. For any course(s) for which Pacific has granted transfer credit, the student must request from the original institution that official transcripts be forwarded to the California Acupuncture board at the time of application for the licensure. Please see Licensure and Certification Disclosure on page 9. Pacific College can only guarantee that its acupuncture and Oriental medicine curricula meet the relevant requirements of California, New York and Illinois. Pacific College can only guarantee its massage curricula meet the standards of the NCCAOM and NCBTMB exams, and the states of Illinois, New York and California.

All of Pacific College’s distance (online) education offerings do not lead to licensure. The following online programs may lead to a professional certification that is required for employment:

Master of Science in Holistic Nursing (MSN): Graduates will be eligible to sit for American Holistic Nurses Credentialing Corporation (AHNCC) board certification as a holistic nurse, advanced holistic nurse or nurse coach. As well, our MSN program qualifies you to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) board certification as a nurse educator and nurse professional development specialist, provided you have the requisite experience.

Please note that states vary in what professions they require to be licensed/certified and how licensure/certification is acquired. Many licensure boards require more than successful degree completion to obtain a license, such as completion of an examination(s), test(s), background check(s), internship/practicum hours, and other requirements determined by the respective state board. It is the responsibility of the student completing the licensure program to check with the respective state licensing board(s) for the most recent information, rules, and requirements. Pacific College is not responsible and cannot be held liable if the student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction or cannot obtain a practicum/internship location.

Relocation: Should a student relocate during the course of a program to another state, it may negatively impact the student’s ability to remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements, and/or continue to receive financial aid funding. Prior to considering any state relocation, it is very important that you contact your program officials to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements. Please also visit the State Authorization of Distance Education webpage for updated information.

Request Information

Enter your information and start moving toward a career you love!

* Required.

Clicking the "Send Request" button below constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by Pacific College of Health and Science at the number(s) you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand that these calls may be generated using an automated technology.