Medical Cannabis CertificationNext term starts on January 8th, 2024!
A rigorous, college-level cannabis certification by an accredited institution
Stand out as a highly educated pioneer in your profession! Learn how to coach patients on the therapeutic effects of cannabis, dosing, self-titration approaches, and ingestion methods while promoting overall health and well-being naturally.
Watch to find out why healthcare professionals must be trained in medical cannabis:
Medical Cannabis Certificate Programs Overview
3 courses / 8 college credits
Financial aid for those who qualify
Combination of optional recorded live classes & asynchronous assignments
Pacific College is accredited by WASC (WSCUC)
Can be completed in as few as 6 months
1 certificate: 2 tracks
Two cannabis Certificate Tracks Available
1. For Health Professionals
In July of 2018, the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) created guidelines for nurses that defined six essential areas of knowledge and skills that all nurses must have to work with medical cannabis patients.
Pacific College believes that these needs are universal and appropriate for all healthcare workers and has used these guidelines as the basis for its certificate.
2. For Other Professionals
Fortunately, the above guidelines are just as useful to any serious student of medical cannabis. Those wishing to apply this knowledge as health coaches, consultants, or entrepreneurs will be as well-informed as our front line healthcare workers
“I highly recommend the medical cannabis program at Pacific College. In my practice, I can now confidently consult with my patients on the safe and effective use of cannabis. I learned from the program how to provide coaching for patients around the general use of cannabis for various health issues as well as the use of additional holistic modalities. Pacific College’s program helped me bridge the gap between curiosity of cannabis, to speaking openly about cannabis with my patients.”
Fernanda Durlene, DACM, LAc
Sedona Ranch Acupuncture & Retreats
Admissions Requirements FOR THE MEDICAL CANNABIS CERTIFICATION COURSE
- An associate degree or credit equivalency (60)
- English language proficiency
- Note: Pacific College acupuncture students who completed their second year comps are also eligible to enroll
CANNABIS CERTIFICATE Schedule and course delivery
The Medical Cannabis certificate program courses are offered online, using a combination of synchronous and self-paced formats. For each seven-week course, two to three weeks are comprised of live classes, while the rest is asynchronous coursework with defined outcomes. A full-time student can complete the program in as few as six months.
Live classes are delivered in real time, with audio and video connection to faculty and fellow students. The connection among participants is comparable to that of on-site classes with the added benefit of attending from the comfort and convenience of your home.
Distance education extends students’ network of opportunities internationally, while Pacific College’s synchronous instructional design fosters camaraderie often exceeding that of on-site models.
CANNABIS CERTIFICATION Program Learning Outcomes
- Explain how cannabis works in the human system.
- Understand the physiology of the endocannabinoid system.
- Describe the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of medicinal cannabis in relationship to supporting homeostasis.
- Define how holistic modalities upregulate the endocannabinoid system.
- Explore the evidence of cannabis effectiveness with specific diseases.
- Understand the social issues related to cannabis.
- Know the historical, legal, and ethical issues related to the prohibition and legalization of cannabis.
- Consider how one’s professional role and standards/scope of professional practice relate to supporting patients’ use of medicinal cannabis (CBD).
- Consult with patients on safe and effective use of cannabis.
- Provide coaching regarding the general use of cannabis (CBD) for pain, PTSD, and other health-related issues.
- Identify indications of possible abuse and adverse side effects of cannabis.
- Define how cannabis can fit into a healthy lifestyle.
- Explore how the endocannabinoid system can be upregulated to enhance homeostasis.
- Use a modern holistic approach to healthcare.
- Apply humanistic, culturally competent, person-based care or advice while respecting personal and family values.
- Conduct evidence-based cannabis research.
- Use reflective practice and critical thinking to evaluate outcomes.
- Communicate effectively with the entire interprofessional team.
- Define best business approaches and healthcare marketing practices related to cannabis (CBD).
Endocannabinoid System and Pharmacology
- Anatomy and physiology of the human endocannabinoid system
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of medicinal cannabis
- Evidence-based cannabis research
- High-risk populations
- Drug-drug interactions and adverse effects of cannabis use
- Routes of cannabis administration
Clinical Medical Cannabis Guidelines and Professional Practice
- Historical, legal, and ethical issues related to prohibition and
legalization of cannabis
- Scope of professional practice in the context of medical cannabis
- Coaching for patients around the general use of cannabis for pain,
mental health, and other health-related issues
- Holistic modalities to upregulate the endocannabinoid system
- Adverse effects of cannabis use
Cannabis Care Capstone | 2 Credits
Design a practical or professional project that aligns with your goals as a
cannabis healthcare professional.
Cannabis Industry Capstone | 2 Credits
Explore concepts unique to the cannabis industry (size, trends, funding,
banking, insurance, licensure, advocacy responsibilities, and opportunities)
and build a project that provides clarity for your area of interest within the
Who is the Medical Cannabis Certification Course Right For?
The medical cannabis certification course is designed to educate a diverse range of professionals in healthcare and associated fields who are interested in gaining knowledge about cannabis and its potential medical applications.
- Healthcare Professionals: physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other medical practitioners can benefit from the cannabinoid certification program. As the medical community explores the potential therapeutic benefits of cannabis, professionals need accurate information to guide their patients effectively.
- Dispensary Staff: Employees working in cannabis dispensaries play a vital role in assisting patients. A cannabis certification equips them with the knowledge needed to provide accurate product information, dosing guidelines, and potential interactions.
- Entrepreneurs: those who are interested in venturing into the cannabis industry can gain a competitive edge through this certification. Understanding the scientific, legal, and ethical aspects of cannabis is crucial for successful business operations.
- Health Coaches and Caregivers: people who are looking for alternative treatments for chronic pain, anxiety, epilepsy, and other conditions can make informed decisions about their client’s health by understanding the potential benefits and risks of medical cannabis.
- Educators: teachers, researchers, and educators interested in promoting evidence-based information about medical cannabis can use this certification.
The course’s online nature allows learners to progress at their own pace, making it ideal for those with varied schedules and commitments. Whether you’re looking to deepen your knowledge as a healthcare provider or enter the cannabis industry with confidence, Pacific College’s online cannabis courses are a valuable resource.
Benefits of Having a Medical Cannabis Certificate
- Credibility: cannabis certificate programs demonstrate your commitment to staying updated with the latest developments in the field, enhancing your credibility as a healthcare professional, industry employee or entrepreneur.
- Career Opportunities: for healthcare professionals and industry employees, having a cannabis certification online can open up new career paths and job opportunities in the rapidly growing cannabis sector.
- Ethical Considerations: understanding the ethical considerations surrounding medical cannabis use helps professionals provide responsible care.
- Understanding: the course provides a comprehensive overview of cannabis science, including cannabinoid compounds, dosage considerations, potential interactions, and the endocannabinoid system.
Online Certification in Medical Cannabis at Pacific College
Pacific College of Health and Science is an accredited college of the prestigious Western Association of Schools and College Senior College and University Commission (WASC’s WSCUC) and offers an accessible cannabis education online program. The cannabis certificate program is taught by a team of expert educators and industry professionals and covers a wide range of topics related to cannabis education, ensuring that participants understand accurate and up-to-date information.
The medical cannabis certificate caters to a diverse audience, offering benefits ranging from enhanced credibility to informed decision-making. The program is 100% online and can be completed in as few as 6 months for a full time student making it a convenient option for anyone looking to gain an understanding of medical cannabis and its potential applications in today’s ever-evolving healthcare landscape.
Medical Cannabis Certificate FAQ
Who is eligible for the Medical Cannabis Certificate Program?
- Associate degree in a healthcare field or bio science field from an accredited institution recognized by the US Department of Education or international equivalent
- Any Pacific College of Health and Science acupuncture student who has completed second year comps
- Any PCHS student who has completed second year comps
How long is the Medical Cannabis Certificate Program?
What is the schedule/classes like for the Medical Cannabis Certificate Program?
What is the tuition of the Medical Cannabis Certification Program?
Is Pacific College of Health and Science accredited?
Does Pacific College of Health and Science offer financial aid?
What are the learning outcomes for a person who graduates with the Medical Cannabis Certification?
Can I take just 1 course within the Medical Cannabis Certificate Program?
Are the Medical Cannabis Certification Program classes recorded?
Can I recommend medical cannabis upon completion of the Medical Cannabis Certificate Program?
Are there books for the classes?
Ready to Apply to the Cannabis Certificate Program?
If you think a career in medical cannabis is something you would like to pursue, contact us and speak to an admissions representative to get started on your new journey!
For more information, call (855) 866-6767 or fill out our contact form to be contacted by a Pacific College representative.