Searching for massage schools in San Diego? Begin your massage and Asian bodywork therapy career with our associate’s degree. Our program ties together massage therapy with Oriental medicine theory, giving you the tools to best serve your future clients’ needs with a unique blend of East and West.
The associate's degree in massage therapy program schedule is designed to complement and enrich your current lifestyle. Our innovative combination of online and in-class courses allows you to complete some of your coursework from the comfort of your own home, on your own time—in addition to building community with one’s peers and participating in practical training with our expert faculty on campus.
The purpose of the Associate of Science program is to develop the student into an expertly trained body therapist, while providing the general education units required to advance into the bachelor’s or master’s degree program. The massage therapy portion of the program emphasizes Oriental medical theory, tui na, and the development of the student's ability to understand the causes and symptoms of disease. In the bodywork portion of the program, students receive an introduction to the theories of Chinese medicine and specialize in a multitude of Asian bodywork therapies.
The Associate of Science (Massage Therapy/Asian Bodywork) is a five-semester degree program consisting of core massage therapy curriculum and 30 units of General Education to meet the requirements for advancement into the Master’s program. The Associate of Science Program is a total of 64.5 units. Graduates are eligible for national massage certification by the National Commission for the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), as well as the requirements for California licensure.
Graduates of the Associate of Science (Massage Therapist/Asian Bodywork) degree will:
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in their personal and professional lives.
- Demonstrate fundamental body therapy skills.
- Know and demonstrate essential, hygienic considerations in the performance of massage.
- Know and respect conditions contraindicating massage.
- Be eligible for the examination administered by National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork and National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
- Demonstrate competent and professional communication and human relations skills.
- Possess the knowledge and skill to run their own private practice massage business or become employed by other healthcare practitioners who utilize massage as part of their client treatment.
- Possess skills that may lead to management positions in their industry.
- Possess working knowledge and the ability to utilize information literacy skills to do further research and study.
- Demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the historical/philosophical context in which Oriental Medicine is based.
- Be eligible to apply to the bachelor’s and/or master’s degree at Pacific or other higher education institutions.
The Pacific College Associate of Science (Massage Therapy/Asian Bodywork) program combines PCOM’s standard of excellence in quality education with the convenience of online activities and courses that are fully integrated with on-location hands-on training and clinical rotations. Pacific College offers students one-click access to college resources and support. One click and you are beginning a class. One click and you are receiving one-on-one attention from distinguished and dedicated faculty members, and an open invitation to on- and off-campus programs and activities that can be tailored to each student’s preferred schedule. Once click and you are starting your new career.
Have questions on how distance education works? Visit our eLearning Frequently Asked Questions page.
Federal Consumer Disclosure Information About This Program
Pacific College of Oriental Medicine's MSTOM and DAOM programs are accredited by ACAOM. The college and all its programs in San Diego are approved by BPPE. All programs, with the exception of the DAOM, are accredited by ACCSC. For important information on program costs, completion and placement rates, median debt incurred, etc., please click here.