PCOM-NY RN to BSN Completion Program:
Recognizing the Interconnectedness of Self, Others, Nature, and Spirituality
As of April 2016, PCOM’s RN to BSN Completion Program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), a specialized accrediting agency for nursing recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Nursing is an art and science emanating from a caring-healing framework. Holistic Nursing programs focus on healing the whole person, recognizing the interrelationship of the bio–psychosocial-cultural-spiritual-energetic-environmental dimensions of the person. It emphasizes protecting and promotingmental, spiritual and emotional health and wellness and supporting people to find meaning, peace and harmony. The holistic nurse who graduates from PCOM-NY partners with individuals, families, and communities to promote healing while honoring the individual's subjective experience about health and illness.
Baccalaureate holistic nursing degrees are the established educational criteria for professional nurses. The New York campus's Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides the philosophical, professional, educational, and clinical groundwork necessary for nurses of the future. The curriculum emphasizes health, wellness and disease prevention; relationship-centered approach; research and evidence informed practice; ethics; advocacy; and leadership in the profession.
This bachelor's degree in holistic nursing enables graduates to:
- Empower patients/clients/families by teaching whole person healing and self-care practices for a healthier lifestyle.
- Assist individuals and families to manage stress, make healthy changes, and prevent disease by improving health and well-being.
- Guide individuals and families between the conventional allopathic medical system and complementary/alternative/integrative therapies and systems.
- Incorporate holistic integrative CAM modalities with other nursing interventions.
- Work on integrated health teams
- Practice in numerous settings.
- Integrate reflection and self-care into personal and professional life.
Nursing courses include:
- Theoretical Foundations of Holistic Nursing
- The Nurse as Facilitator of Healing I Role & II Modalities
- Community Health Nursing/Population Focused Healthcare
- Leadership in the Delivery of Healthcare
- Issues and Trends in Professional Nursing and Healthcare
Additional coursework includes:
- Health Assessment/ Physical Exam
- Electives, e.g. Herbology, Nutrition, Qi Gong, Fundamentals of Chinese Medicine, Transcultural Nursing, Spanish for Nurses, and Palliative Care
Nursing Program of Study
- 42-60 Credits (1095 Credit Hours)
- Full-Time (4 Terms), Part-Time (7-9 Terms)
- Classroom and Clinical Experiences
- Day and Evening Classes
ACEN Accredited, NY State Approved, WASC Accredited
*RN to BSN programs in New York intended for those with an Associate’s Degree in Nursing and a Registered Nurse license.
Federal Consumer Disclosure Information About This Program
As a holistic nursing school, Pacific College of Oriental Medicine’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion) program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), a specialized accrediting agency for nursing recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). ACEN contact information: 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA, 30326, www.acenursing.org. The college is registered with the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and approved by the Board of Regents. Pacific College of Oriental Medicine is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). For important information on program costs, completion and placement rates, median debt incurred, etc., please see the program disclosure document.
Nursing Program Articulation
The Pacific College Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Holistic Nursing) has articulation agreements with the following Associate Degree Nursing Programs. Students who are not yet RNs may begin their nursing education at one of these colleges. Upon completion of an Associate Degree in Nursing, students may continue on to the Pacific College BS Completion Program in Holistic Nursing with seamless transition (see links below):
- Queensborough Community College (Bayside, NY)
- Swedish Institute College of Health Sciences (NYC, NY)
- SUNY Sullivan (Loch Sheldrake, NY)
If you would like more information about holistic nursing programs, or you have been searching for a holistic nursing school in NYC, contact us at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in New York City.