Once you complete this program, upgrade to the Doctorate of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (DACM) through our online pathway.
If you've been searching for Master's programs in Chicago, your search ends at Pacific College. With this acupuncture and Oriental medicine degree, you can learn from experts and hone your craft in something not only ancient but also on the cutting edge of modern-day healthcare. You can do something that has a positive impact personally and professionally. Explore what being a practitioner of Chinese medicine means to you. You’ve always been a healer at heart – let us show you the path to becoming one in practice.
The purpose of the MS in Oriental medicine degree program is to train practitioners of Oriental medicine and to enable them to function as primary, independent healthcare providers, and most importantly, to become an integral part of the modern healthcare system. Following the vision of an “East meets West” environment, students learn and apply the best of Asian medicine with a firm foundation in Western medicine. If you've been searching for traditional Chinese medicine schools that incorporate real-world training, this program consists of three academic phases that emphasize practicality in both theory and clinical practice.
PCOM allowed me to grow and express myself creatively. I had attended many different schools in search of my calling, but none held my interest like PCOM. On the first day of school, I distinctly remember the feeling of finding my niche, and it held for all four years. This feeling endured, and upon completing my master’s, I went straight into the doctoral program with only one week between. - Dr. Uchenna Egwuonwu, LAc
The Master of Science (Traditional Oriental Medicine) is a four-year graduate program. With 178.5 units and 3307.5 credit hours of theory and clinical practice, graduates are eligible for the California state licensure exam, as well as the national certification examinations, which enables students to become licensed in the remaining states that regulate acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Students of the Master’s program are also eligible to enroll in Pacific College’s massage programs, allowing them to earn a massage license and work in the field while completing their Master’s degree.
Some of these courses include:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Acupuncture Points
- Tui Na Structural Techniques
- Needle Technique
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Disease
- Auricular Acupuncture
- Eastern Nutrition
Graduates of the Master of Science of Traditional Oriental Medicine will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate personal and professional ethical standards.
- Understand the etiology of disease from a traditional Oriental and biomedical perspective, and apply this understanding by recommending disease prevention strategies.
- Evaluate patients exhibiting complaints commonly seen and treated by Oriental medicine, and in a manner that indicates cognizance of all relevant Oriental medical diagnostic paradigms.
- Recognize signs and symptoms necessitating referral to appropriate complementary healthcare providers.
- Formulate treatment principles in a manner that prioritizes treatment procedures for patients that follow logically from the diagnosis.
- Formulate acupuncture, herbal (MSTOM graduates) and supplemental treatment plans, while providing a logical rationale for such plans.
- Personally administer the designated treatment plan, or use the appropriate support personnel.
- Demonstrate knowledge of clinical sciences from a traditional Oriental and bio-medical perspective.
- Communicate in a professional and knowledgeable manner about Oriental medicine and biomedicine with relevant health care professionals.
Federal Consumer Disclosure Information About This Program
Pacific College of Oriental Medicine is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The college is authorized for operation by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE). The college’s MSTOM, MSAc (CH and NY), and DAOM (SD) programs are accredited by ACAOM. For important information on program costs, completion and placement rates, median debt incurred, etc., please see the program disclosure document.
For previous graduates of master’s level degrees or equivalent, Pacific College has designed an online pathway for PCOM MSTOM alumni to upgrade to the doctorate.