PACIFIC COLLEGE OF ORIENTAL MEDICINE
- Stepping out in the Community
Outreach & Community Education Newsletter – December 2008
Outreach and Community Education plays an important role in training Pacific College students to become successful practitioners.
Students learn, practice, network, and serve when they step into the community to give acupuncture treatments and to educate community members about Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
How outreach benefits students & prepares them for success:
- Students practice & build skills in talking to prospective patients about Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
- Students gain experience speaking with other healthcare providers (doctors, nurses, hospital staff, chiropractors, etc.) about Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
- Students build a network of healthcare professionals and community organizations with whom they can work in the future.
- Community members receive an introduction and education about Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
Recent Outreach events (Fall 2008 semester) have included:
- US Golf Classic; Acupuncture and Massage treatments for athletes and athletics professionals and community members
- NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases Employee Appreciation
- Sustainable Living Roadshow
- Whole Foods Employee Appreciation
- San Diego Healing Arts Festival
- Vietnam Veterans Stand Down 2008
- Tunnel to Towers Run for 9/11 Survivors & First Responders
- Great American SmokeOut
- Opening Doors Family Health Center
- Girlz.Got.Game Basketball Classic & Health
- Deborah’s Place Women’s Shelter
- Chicago Citywide Health Fair, Women’s Resource and Wellness Fair, and Social Services Agency Community Health Fair
- Albert Einstein Medical School - Intern exchange
- Cornell Medical School - Patient & Society class
- DePaul University - Anthropology class
- City College of New York – General Culture class
- College Wellness/health fairs at Wilbur Wright College, Loyola University, Malcolm X College, and Columbia College
Upcoming in December
- NYU Medical School Student Appreciation Day
- San Diego State University Zen Day
*If you know of an organization which would benefit from community education about Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, let us know. Our Outreach and Alumni services Departments can provide free sample acupuncture treatments for relaxation, speakers on a wide variety of topics, and staff information tables at health fairs, educational or fundraising events.
You are receiving this email because you submitted your contact information on a Pacific College sponsored service directly on our website or an affiliate service sponsored by Pacific College.
If you have questions or comments, please contact us at:
Phone: (212) 982-3456
Fax: (212) 982-6514
Address: 915 Broadway
New York, NY, 10010