Everyone has allergies from time to time, but imagine your life if you had a stuffy or runny nose, headache, or sinus pressure every day? This is what it’s like for those with chronic sinitus. There is something natural that can not only reduce these symptoms, but make you feel more energized, boost your immune system, and can even improve your skin and hair health: eating foods that fight inflammation.
Traditional Chinese medicine has long held the belief that the foods you eat and the lifestyle you lead can impact your health as much as any medical regimen . Inflammation is the root cause of chronic sinus problems, as well as allergies and hay fever.
A nutritious diet can not only decrease inflammation in your system, but also boost your immunity to bacteria that can lead to sinus infections. Also, there are foods that can unclog nasal passages and ease your breathing. Just as we would put the right kind of gas into a car to ensure it runs well, the food you put in your body can be tailored to your needs to help you feel your best.
So, what foods can reduce and prevent inflammation?
- Omega 3 fatty acids are beneficial for decreasing inflammation. These can be found in fish such as wild salmon, cod, and sardines.
- Tart cherries. Did you know these little guys can reduces inflammation ten times better than aspirin? They can also reduce your risk for heart disease.
- Turmeric spice, which is often used in Thai and Indian food, contains curcumin, which actively reduces inflammation.
- Leafy greens (The darker the better!)
- Broccoli (has a lot of vitamin C and calcium), asparagus, bean sprouts
- Apples and pears
- Green tea
- Spices like ginger, basil, and cayenne pepper
The common thread between all the foods on the list above is that each contains antioxidants and or omega 3s. A part of the world that naturally gravitates to a omega-3 rich diet is Greece. A Mediterranean diet is very high in antioxidants, and studies have shown that people in Greece have very few reported allergies. Think like the Greeks! Eat fresh salads with tomatoes, onions, olives, and plenty of fresh fish.
By incorporating these foods into your daily diet, you will not only be drastically improving your sinuses, you will be reducing inflammation all over your body. This will boost your overall health—improving heart health, joint pain, headaches, and even acne and skin conditions. Enjoy!
U.S. Health News
Top 10 Foods to Reduce Inflammation
The Best Diet for Allergies and Hay Fever